Monday, February 9, 2009

Never suppress a generous impulse.

A few weeks ago I found Gretchen Rubin's excellent blog The Happiness Project. I wanted to try a little happiness project of my own. I decided to devote the month of February to love. I thought of love for God and also my family and friends and even thought of reaching out to those I don't know. Why not just include everyone!

As I contemplated how to show my love for God I thought first of my personal devotions and then I remembered what Jesus said about the good we do for those in need - when "ye have done it unto one of the least of these... ye have done it unto me." This reminded me of what King Benjamin taught his people, "When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

So I decided to try to find ways to brighten someone's day. Hopefully each day. Maybe with something that took some time or required a bit of a sacrifice. I wondered if I could actually find an opportunity for a good deed like that each day. But I knew I'd find opportunities to be cheerful at least, and smile at the check-out clerk or whoever I encountered as I went about my business. I could use Camilla Kimball's rule "never suppress a generous impulse" to guide me.

That was what I hoped and intended. As the days passed I was surprised to find so many ways I felt impressed to reach out to someone. Maybe with something from my kitchen, maybe with a phone call, maybe a walk together, maybe a note of encouragement...

And the result of this was that I woke up one day late in the first week of this endeavor feeling unreasonably happy. I searched my mind for the source of my happy mood and remembered what the Dalai Lama said about doing good. "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." I realized that even just a few days of looking for little ways to show my love for God by attempting to "give the succor He would give"* had turned out to be a big happiness producer.

Which sort of seems ironic. I meant to be spreading cheer to others, but I ended up with a heaping portion of it myself.
*Henry B. Eyring,"Our Hearts Knit as One," Ensign, Nov 2008, 71

No comments:

Post a Comment