Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Italian Potato Soup











I tried to re-create a soup we had at an Italian Restaurant. It turned out easy and tasty!

These are the ingredients:
1 package Italian sausage (1 to 1 1/2 lb)
1 onion
1 3 lb bag red potatoes
soup base, or bullion cubes, or broth (I use Better Than Bullion chicken or vegetable flavor)
1 pint half and half ( or milk)
2 oz arugula
oyster crackers


Here's how to do it.
Break the sausage into small pieces and cook.
Chop the onion and add to the sausage toward the end of the cooking.
Wash and slice the potatoes and add to pan after onions are translucent. Add enough water to barely cover (about 4-5 cups) and some soup base (about 2 Tbs) and cook until the potatoes are done. ( about 10 mins or so).
Add the half and half.
Add about 2 oz of arugula. (that's about half of a bag)
Serve with oyster crackers.
This makes about 8 servings.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Susi, you're blogging! I love the recipes and will add you to my list of blogs I read. Just tell me what soup base is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patti! Thanks for stopping by! Soup base is like bullion cubes, only I think it's concentrated broth. I get mine right by the bullion cubes in Publix. It's in a small jar called Better Than Bullion. You could use bullion cubes, or broth if you wanted. I better fix the recipe to make it more clear. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this on Saturday, but my local grocery didn't have arugula so I had to substitute spinach. I kept wanting the arugula taste so I didn't like it as much as yours. I did use this recipe, though. It was so convenient to look it up online.

    And the reason I'm posting under anonymous is I can't seem to get the google account profile to work.

    I love you Susi!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. And I agree about the arugula, it's the perfect flavor for this soup.
    I love you too, Angie!

    ReplyDelete